It's You!

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Dorothy Komsoon ...

Title : The Cupid Effect & My Best Friend's Girl
Author : Dorothy Komsoon
Genre : Fiction

I've read two of her books, "The Cupid Effect" & "My Best friend's Girl". The novel were so inspiring and touche. When you read her, you are seeing the reality out there. It's always about love but the love were interjected with such words that it seems ... honest.

The Cupid Effect is about a black woman, Ceri D'Altroy, that left her job to be a psychology lecturer in Leeds. Even though she blamed Oprah Winfrey for the change she made in her life, she's just following her heart. While she's struggling with her love life, she seems to inspire other people around her to change their life. She's just like a cupid but the modern version of it. Everybody she knew will pour out their heart out and waiting for her words of wisdom. Until at one point, she's making a decision not to be a "cupid" but in despair to learn that its a gift that she can't avoid. Apart from that, she's looking for the right man in her life, (even though she always thought that Angel from Buffy The Vampire Slayer her man! Even i can't resist Angel with his black outfit, nice & yummy *wink*). At last, she's able to overcome all obstacle & find her Angel right in front of her nose!



My Best Friend's Girl. Just reading the first two pages of the book, makes me crying. Maybe it's because of the mother-daughter "thingy" which Komsoon wrote that makes me sensitive. How do you (Kamryn Matika) feel when your best friend (that is Adele Brannon in this book) was having a "thing" with your fiance (Nate) and they have a child from it? Then, your best friend is dying and she makes you promise her that you'll look after her daughter? At first, i'm reading this book teary-eyed all the way through. Then, the paces were going much stronger with a new character (Luke Wiseman) which at first you'll hate but then you'll love it at the end. Some of the prologue for you...


..." anyway, on this particular day i sat at the station and a woman came and stood beside me. She got her mobile out of her bag and made a call. When the person on the other end picked up she said, 'Hello, it's Felicity Halliday's mother here. I'm calling because she's not very well and she won't be coming to school today'. I fell apart. Just broke down in tears. It hit me then, right then, that i would never get the chance to make a call like that. I would not get to do the simple mum thing like call my daughter's school. The were a million things i would never get to do again and that was one of them. ... then this man, this angel, came to me, sat down, put his arm around me and held me while i cried. The train came, the train left. As did the next one and the next one. But this man stayed with me. Stayed with me as i cried and cried. i totally soaked and snotted up the shoulder of his nice suit jacket but he didn't seem to mind, he waited and held me until i stopped wailing. Then he gently asked me what was wrong. Through my sobs, all i could say was, "i've got to tell my little girl i'm going to die.""

1 comment:

Thanks for the responds! (◡‿◡✿)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...